Wednesday 12 April 2017

Hate


“Stronger together” you state
as I squirm beneath as you
force your self upon me.

Know this: 
I hide my darkest thoughts (of you)
amongst the biscuits in the cookie jar.

What could be sweeter than you,
you fucking scumbag biscuit-eater
munching on my very thoughts?

I shall poison you with words.

Anna :o]

Isadora hosts at Toads and she writes:

I am ever so happy to present the mid-week prompt for our Poems in April promptkrieg. For this prompt we are going out of standard. I am going to challenge you to find new places in the everyday and sully the page with the unexpected. At this point in the month, your poem muscles are warm, limber and ready for the long haul. 

Signs of the times

The prompt is simple: find an image of a protest sign and use that phrase in a poem that is not political. 

Apologies to the good folk in the image as I feel my words have cheapened their ideals.  Of the image and feminism:  I do not consider myself a feminist (and tis true this term now has a pejorative ?quality about it) as as said in a previous post, I have never experienced gender inequality – or maybe I have and it was so subtle I didn’t notice it.

That said, I really do know that gender inequality exists and in some countries (I am happy I don’t exist in) to an extreme we couldn’t imagine.  I believe that gender inequality is purely a social construct, simplified: male physical strength = dominance, and thus a female’s lack of same physical strength has determined our place in the world.

It will be a long long time before beliefs/attitudes change – if ever - and sadder this world will be for it.  Proof of this, if it were needed, is a programme I watched a few days ago on VICELAND, this being “Discarded Daughters” and please view it your self.  (If VICELAND appears on your TV menu – don’t ignore it, because of its title – as I did for a long time.  There is much worthy of watching there.)  

Image: Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Author:  Elvert Barnes from Baltimore, Maryland, USA

10 comments:

De Jackson said...

Whew. That second stanza, especially.

Magaly Guerrero said...

It seems that we've chosen speakers that belong to the same family for this prompt. They used different weapons, but their attitudes are so similar.

The rage shines like a bonfire. The poison will be hot and destructive. I almost feel sorry for the one on the receiving end... almost.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I do not think your poem lessens the value of the protest. It packs a powerful punch from where I am sitting.

Anonymous said...

Packs a punch indeed.

Isadora Gruye said...

Hiya Anna....I really like how you took the political statement to the cookie jar. The metaphor of robbing the sweet jar/honey pot is a strong one here that is echoed through out your poem. I also think you did a good job in keeping your words plain and to the point. This one is highly written and does stand on its own. Thanks for posting and Viva la!!!!

grapeling said...

powerful ~

Rommy said...

That rage needs an outlet. I imagine it will not be a pleasant one for the biscuit eater.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

You blew me away and probably them too! Lol! You go Anna! Sorry I'm reading so late, finally had time on Easter Sunday.

^.^ said...

:)Love, cat.

Sok Sareth said...

Your blog was absolutely fantastic! Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.

ลาลีกา