Friday 10 October 2014

Foie gras



Sometimes,
when his heart chimes in robust rhymes
and her knee is all a-flutter,
why is it then the speckled hen
spreads margarine, not butter? 

And so it is upon first kiss
when all is lost    but all is not forsaken,
the cow is left to wonder how
and the pig brings home the bacon. 

And Deidre duck does not give a f*ck as corn
is shoved eiderdown    an ever-resisting gullet,
for it is then when speckled hen wonders (wearily) by
she knows that she can pullet.

And of the pull or perhaps the wool
of a lamb of fleecing coat,
while the prancing pig does a sailors jig  -
why does the goat gets on his goat?

Anna :o]

Bjorn at dVerse as us writing poems of no meaning at all.  Of course the above has a deep meaning to me (;o]) as in the  trials and tribulations’ of my (present) life – but perhaps I need an analyst? :o]

Video: Courtesy of YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JeKZd9ecE

16 comments:

Brian Miller said...

how the pig brings home the bacon...ha...you did a marvelous job with this anna...seriously top notch...the first stanza in particular...

Anonymous said...

and the goat gets on his goat - fun with a play on the meaning too

Gabriella said...

You have given a wistful and sweet and sour tone to your poem, Anna. I am not sure why you posted the last night of the Proms, but for me this is so very English and has sent me back down memory lane.

Claudia said...

why is it then the speckled hen
spreads margarine, not butter? ... that alone is food for thought for quite a bit...love the title as i love foie gras though i know i shouldn't eat it actually...oy

Mary said...

I am not one to eat liver of any kind. Even though I know it is fashionable to enjoy it.

brudberg said...

Yes I'm trying and trying to find the meaning.. The pig bringing home the bacon and the speckled hen carries a meaning foe me.

Arathi Harihar said...

oh..loved the way you have penned this one Anna..

Sumana Roy said...

the pig bringing home the bacon...the image is scary..

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I liked the punning and the farmyard setting. It had a nursery-rhyme feel to me (except I think I'd better not share it with any young children).

Glenn Buttkus said...

Your final lines are killer, & you certainly rocked the prompt with this one. I, of course, love the line
/and Deidre duck does not give a fuck/ but would never asterisk the F-word--for if we think it, or use it, then don't apologize, eulogize--just dig it.

ds said...

I just adore the puns in this. Very very clever. Thank you.

Michael said...

I thought this was such a fun poem Anna, well done great play on words.

Charlotte Hamrick said...

Very interesting !

Grace said...

I am lost as the first kiss and prancing pig I will do a sailor's jig ~ Such fun Anna :-)

Ginny Brannan said...

Hah! What fun yours was to read! Well done!

Sabio Lantz said...

LOL
I just visited your site to read and said to myself, "Yuck, nonself -- with apparent hidden private meaning."
THEN, I read the challenge and your note.
So, for your purposes -- well done!
:-)