Monday 20 March 2017

Yum!!!


We would all pile into dads recent acquisition, his first ever motorised wheels, a light blue Morris Minor Traveller, we being mum and dad, sis Chris and me and little brother John.    This little blue beauty had opened up new horizons for us, no longer hampered were we by the limitations of bus routes.  The countryside was ours.

Mum would pack a little hamper of food, this wonderful and simple feast bringing the fondest of memories of the oft happiness of childhood.  My favourite of this delightful fayre being the cheese and tomato sandwiches, which we would unwrap from the little greaseproof paper packages mum lovingly made.  Salt was not regarded as a problem then and when making, mum would liberally coat the innards of the sandwiches with it, facilitating osmosis drawing the tomato juice until it ran into the bread and softened the cheese.  My first memory of food is the heaven of soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches (and I am salivating now thinking of this delight) washed down with what was then a treat of dilute orange juice.

I only have vague memories of our trips out, the enjoyment of our green and pleasant land.  But I do so remember the wonderful the delicious soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches!  It is a lasting and pure love!

Buds fit to bursting
feasting on sunshine, alas
no crumbs for the ducks

Anna :o]

Toni at dVerse has us writing of Yum!!! for Haibun Monday, that is ‘The Best Meal You Ever Ate.’

The above is mine and will always be so.  It must be said that this meal also consisted of a packet of Smiths crisps with its little blue salt bag and a two finger Kit-Kat and mums homemade currant buns.

Maybe this first love is why I continue to enjoy buffet lunches, most wonderful things!

Image:  courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Author: Reinhard Kirchner

12 comments:

Victoria Ceretto-Slotto said...

How fun, Anna--the whole wonderful experience wrapped up in soggy tomato and cheese sandwiches. It is the simplicity of joy that makes it special.

indybev said...

What wonderful memories centered around those soggy tomato and cheese sandwiches ... proof positive some of our very best memories center around food. Thanks for sharing.

Frank Hubeny said...

Soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches sound delicious.

Amaya said...

Yes, a joyous memory, and the detail of no crumbs for the critters was delightful too!

Susie Clevenger said...

This reminds me of my childhood. Only we did everything in day trips.

brudberg said...

I do remember car trips, but they were always too long. I do remember sandwiches, but never quite like this.. but eating outside gives an outstanding sense of freedom..

Kim M. Russell said...

What a great memory of a family trip. I used to have a white Morris caravanette many years ago, with a sink and grill. I remember those soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches - we had them too! But we didn't have a car when I was a child, in fact my parents had not car or telephone until long after I left home. So we took ours on trains, buses and coaches. Shame about the ducks, though :)

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Love this childhood memory. And the haiku is absolutely perfect...a whimsical finish to this reading delight! :) Thank you!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

My Dad used to sell Morris Minors! And drove one. I know those soggy cheese-and-tomato sandwiches very well from my own childhood, too, and for a little while you gave me back the taste (which was indeed a wonderful taste at the time, and even now in memory).

Gina said...

lovely to read of the simplest meal yet with the strongest memory. My mum prepared simple meals that we ask for even today!

Jenny Woolf said...

Funny what sticks in our mind from childhood. I have some vivid food memories too!

Stacy M.S. said...

i had a wonderful time traveling down memory lane with you.
ah, childhood. things aren't the same these days.