Monday 4 September 2017

To Michael



Late summer brings with it industry, for, for far too long my home has been neglected, but by necessity.  Working full time and caring for my lovely hubs Michael (for sixteen years) left little time for anything else.  But as seasons change, so does life.  Michael has lived in a wonderful care home for two years and I retired from work last November.

Initially, after retirement, I dwelt in that wonderful place of my time, where the only person I owed was me.  Happy in my apathy, I ignored the ingress of rain as it cascaded through the extension roof, preferring to place buckets rather than deal with it.  But as summer came and the grass grew and I knew I wasn’t physically fit enough to mow it, I had the garden landscaped and the roof repaired.

I then knew that I must concentrate on my home, for it is my home and not just a house.  I knew I must arrange for the house to be rewired, for the wiring is as old as the house, nearly fifty years.  I gave myself three weeks before the start date, thinking it enough to lift carpets and clear cupboards and wardrobes.  Little did I realise memories lost in the clutter.  (The British Red Cross needed a van to take the clutter away to their shop – the memories remain here.)

Autumn will come soon
echoing sweet  memories,
you are my summer.

Anna :o]

Toni at dVerse has us writing of the space between season and above is my offering.  Cheers Toni!

Image:  Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Author:  Tony Webster

17 comments:

Whippet Wisdom Blog said...

A beautiful of haibun of our seasons in life and in nature. Finding those memories while letting go of the clutter is like finding all the jewels of autumn in your home too xxx

tonispencer said...

Oh how that last line sings....you are my summer. So much love in this haibun, so many memories. I am glad you were able to recycle your clutter and that you have your husband in a good care taking home. That means a lot. It sounds like you have had a hard time of it but you are holding up well. Bless you.

Vaccinius said...

Indeed, autumn is a chance to look back and cherish the good memories. And there are many of those in life. We come home every now and then. And that home is worth taking care of.

May Jesus give you much inspiration and strength!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful comparison of life and nature. (the seasons of life)

Grace said...

That's a lot of work around the house ~ Hope you are can get some help there ~ Take care Anna and enjoy your retirement ~

Frank Hubeny said...

I can imagine the memories hiding in those cupboards and closets. A couple of years ago I finally sorted and gave much of my own clutter to Goodwill that was still boxed from a move we made over a decade ago. It was necessary to get things organized.

rallentanda said...

A beautiful poem filled with love and memories. There is no time when you are a carer and you work a job as well,to devote time to the home. There are not enough hours in the day. Carers are not recognised for the amazing selfless work they do. I don't think people realise how unbearably difficult it is at times.It must have been hard as well to place your partner in a care facility. I wish you luck and good health and admire you immensely. Enjoy your retirement.

brudberg said...

I can imagine all the memories - so good that they don't leave with the things. A house can still be filled and need its care. Take care of you.

ADDY said...

I wish you strength and health to deal with what lies ahead. I always take solace in the mantra "one day at a time". It is surprising what you can tick off the list as you slowly plod along.

annell4 said...

Your last line took my breath away! Thank you fora beautiful write!

Walt Wojtanik said...

A powerful piece, Anna! Such heart and memory in this! The tinge of sadness is the perfect counterpoint and your haiku is superb! I enjoyed reading this!

Kim M. Russell said...

That's a familiar story, neglecting housework and repairs while working hard at keeping going. It takes retirement to find the time for things you really want to do, so the things that need to be done stay on the back burner a little longer. And you are right about concentrating on the house: it is a home. Well done for making a great start and sorting the clutter. I love the wistful haiku, Anna.
=

Martin said...

How much can be felt in those three lines ...

sarah said...

What a beautiful, yearning haiku.

Margaret said...

How memories slow us down as we de-clutter. Yes, downsizing takes a lot more time than we think - but it also frees us to enjoy our time - our space. And the memories are there - always. Lovely poem.

^.^ said...

Am 61 nd also have many memories, friend ... Calves in my kitchen, kids recovering from growing pains, long winter nights and cabin fever in -35 below and nowhere to go ... Wishing you a very happy September. Love, cat.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Anna, you have lived well through a time of great transitions. May you enjoy your home for a long time to come. I am glad Michael is well cared for, and that you have both made these necessary adjustments. Lovely to read you, always.