Wednesday 18 April 2018

Blubell Wood

Blubell Wood, Abbeystead


I remember when…back bent against the wind; he trudged through woods ‘cross farmers’ fields, through hail and storm ‘cross rushing streams, till wet and worn and caked in mud he all but fell upon his knees, all this to bring his heart to me.

Grateful I held his heart against my chest and tired he, took him to rest in waiting bed and warmed him in my warm embrace, lay kisses on his wondrous face, and joyous thus we made love and cuddled till the morn, glorying in the light of day.

And in that summer we were wed and tilled the land and fed the earth, gave birth to fields of kale and wheat, and our sweet child who grew strong and kind, and as time ticked by became the gentlest man, so good and kind was he, and how full of pride of he were we.

But ‘cross the years the time had spread, till (my love) so thin was he, in he no pastures new no seed to grow, he wilted in the sultry summer glow, till breaths slowly ceased and dead was he and so lost was I and so alone.

Skeletal now and bent my back, I trudge through farmers’ fields and silent woods, eye the barren trees bereft of green, know this the path on which my love had been upon his journey long ago, as he trudged through mud, ‘cross rushing streams, till so tired all but fell upon his knees, all this to bring his heart to me.

I search for him through days and nights, till one morn upon the dawning light I see him there amongst the trees, and smiling he, he takes my hand as breathing slows and eyes grow dim, and released from life and happy now, I give my heart my soul my love to him.

Anna :o]

Sarah at dVerse asks us to write an ekphrastic poem inspired by the fine work of artist Fay Collins.  I chose the above artwork found at Fay’s website which can be found here:  https://faycollinsart.co.uk/  I chose this for as soon as I saw it, it spoke volumes to me.

Cheers for the inspiration Sarah and Fay!

13 comments:

kaykuala said...

And in that summer we were wed and tilled
the land and fed the earth, gave birth to
fields of kale and wheat, and our sweet
who grew strong and kind......

The 3rd stanza is classic Anna! You've brought home the idea of progeny in relating the relationship of productivity to land and human life! Beautiful write, Ma'am!

Hank

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice sounding poem of a life well lived.

Grace said...

Love the happy resolution towards the end of your love story Anna ~

Truedessa said...

An amazing journey/story of life and love.

brudberg said...

What a bittersweet wonderful love story, a love that last forever.

sarah said...

Oh, that's lovely. I love the start so much - the offering of the heart - and then the ending, of course. I'm so glad they were reunited. For me, the writing changed the image. I looked back at it, and noticed the bare tree, bent over in the middle of all that greenery, and that became the writer reaching out for her dead lover. Beautiful.

Kim M. Russell said...

Fay Collins loves blue and the bluebell wood is a stunner, as is your prose poem, Anna. I like the way the 'back bent against the wind' is repeated at the end, in comparison, together with the 'refrain' :trudged through mud, ‘cross rushing streams, till so tired all but fell upon his knees, all this to bring his heart to me. It is a deeply touching love story. I especially love the section that begins 'And in that summer we were wed and tilled the land and fed the earth, gave birth to fields of kale and wheat'.

annell4 said...

What a wonderful write!!! I loved each chosen word!! You suggested to me, that maybe something was lost, but by Job, I think you still have "it!"

Vivian Zems said...

A sublime love story with the essence of giving.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Wonderful, Anna!

Maude Lynn said...

This is just gorgeous!

Shadow said...

This is truly magical....

Sarah Russell said...

Anna, this is just a gorgeous love ballad. I wanted to see it performed by a minstrel. I’m really impressed!!